Using SDK to authenticate user for URL access

May 4, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I have an existing PHP application, using an SQL database. I also have some SSRS reports on the report server that report on data in this database. The application already has functionality to link to the reports using URL access and this works well except for one minor problem. The problem is that when users click on these links (only the first time in every session), they must enter (windows) credentials to access the report server and I would like to get around this (preferably without implementing anonymous or custom authentication on SSRS). The application already uses its own forms authentication, so this means users have to remember a second username and password. This isn't a trainsmash (we can lock down the access that we provide this user and give all users a "generic" report user to enter when they need to generate reports), but it's not pretty.

Is it possible to use the SDK to authenticate users against SSRS (using e.g. a user specified in a config file), so that the real end user can then access reports via URL access without having to authenticate against SSRS again?

I know that I can achieve this by rendering the reports through php (as in the helloworld example), but this requires a lot of changes to the application that I don't really want to do right now.

Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 5:21 AM

You should be able to set the user credential when you call the SSRSReport method. In addition you can also use the SetExecutionCredentials2 method to set credentials for the data sources used by the Report, if different credentials are required.

hope this helps

Claudio